Friday, May 28, 2010


Speaking from experience Rome is not the first place I would look for good design in the municipal sphere, Rome has a lot of confusing signage in many tourist spots, and the subways often seem to lack enough signage to begin with*. But I really like the identity for the city's transportation system. atac ROMA looks nice and contemporary and has some flexibility too. The flexibility of course comes from the ribbon like line that can be extended and used in different ways. With buses, trains, and trams all being elongated shapes it makes perfect sense to use a line as an element, so I say kudos. Even in the case of a minibus it still looks pretty good.

One feature of the identity that's been around for quite some time is the coat of arms; featuring "SPQR" which stands for "Senatus Populusque Romanus" or "The Senate and the People of Rome" a motto which is at least 2,000 years old.

As for the red/maroon stripe, it looks like has been an element of atac ROMA's look since at least 1980, probably earlier still.

But what I think really makes the current Identity is the type, I like the juxtaposition of the modern all lowercase sans-serif for "atac" against the historical Roman square capitals.

Bravo!

*in my opinion, no offense my Roman friends

No comments:

Post a Comment